Did you know today is National Toothache Day? Toothache is the most common type of pain in the mouth or face and also one of the most common reasons for emergency dental appointments.
We’ve all experienced a toothache before, and if you haven’t, kudos to you! It’s not a fun time. There are many questions around toothache, so we wanted to prepare you with these five facts in the event you unfortunately experience one in the near future!
1. Toothaches are most commonly caused by underlying conditions such as tooth decay, gum disease, or a tooth filling which has now been compromised. Additionally, toothache may be onset by teeth which have been pulled and are now infected, fractured or damaged by the procedure
2. Often times, other areas of pain may be misinterpreted as a toothache such as Temporomandibular (TMJ) issues, sinus infections, and/or ear pain
3. When experiencing a toothache, try to avoid chewing on that side/portion of your mouth and stick with room-temperature food/beverages, limiting extreme hot and cold contact with the area
4. For temporary relief, you can rinse your mouth out with warm salt water and/or try pain relief medication–If your toothache is severe or persists, reach out to your Dentist
5. To avoid experiencing toothaches, take a these preventive measures to keep your smile healthy:
C. Use a fluoride toothpaste - helps to prevent decay in both adults and children - all of Spotlight Oral Care’s toothpaste range contain fluoride.
D. Reduce your intake of sugary foods - moderation is key
E. Visit your dentist for preventive check ups and professional cleaning